Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 1 July 2010

Death of the Kin - proof point that mobile social networking aggregation doesn't work

Posted on 01:06 by Unknown
Goodbye Microsoft Kin, the so-called social network phone.

I maintain that one of the biggest myths in the mobile industry at present, is that users want to have some sort of master-app or UI to aggregate their various social networking and messaging experiences.

It's another classic case of technologists thinking that "convergence" is elegant and therefore cool, while actual user psychology is completely the opposite - divergence is cool, exclusive and personalised.

Convergence and standardisation in underlying enablers can be good, as long as they don't get in the way. Having (national) standards for electrical sockets is handy. Having a combined toaster and dishwasher, because they can share the same physical footprint, single power outlet and a common UI "look and feel" isn't.

For mobile social networking, I can see the world polarising into two extremes:

  • Dedicated client or web page, run by the specific service. So either a Facebook app, or Facebook.com rendering well on the handset browser, depending on the specific device/OS. This is always going to be the best-performing version, as it comes from the people best-able to integrate and customise the experience - and who get the customer data and feedback, and are thus able to tune it progressively.
  • Or, at the other extreme, very low-end phones getting status updates via SMS / MMS. Lowest-common denominator, doesn't need a data plan or 3G, should work out-of-the box for billions of people.
I'm really not convinced by all the other approaches in the middle. Home-screen aggregation and widgets like MotoBlur or some of the Nokia UIs or Windows 7 demos? I'm not sure they work that well, especially when notifications come through rapidly, or where the new "service du jour" isn't represented for 6 months after it becomes cool. Maybe some of the BONDI / WAC widgets will improve things, but I'm not convinced yet.

Operator-branded front ends to social networks? Do they add or subtract from the experience of "the real thing"? Maybe if there's something really special involving a mashup of operator and social-network APIs, I'll believe - paying for in-app microcredits through the carrier billing system perhaps - or automating SMS reminders for events.

Phonebook enhancements to show statuses and presence? Unconvincing - and risks de-valuing the proper user experience. My Facebook status is intended to be seen *in context* with the rest of my wall & posts, not abstracted as a solo item. If I decide to federate bits of my social world, I want it to be on *my* terms. Plus, as I've written before, the phonebook or contact list is a lousy repository for all your affiliations that are not people (events, groups etc). IMS RCS? You probably know my views - and I'm putting the final touches to my report on it, if you don't.

I'll make an exception for dedicated devices like the various INQ phones, which clearly have a lot of thought and collaboration involved. But they too will need to have a way to compete with the "updateability" of web pages and dedicated apps - something I suspect that the company's move towards Android reflects.

The short life and brutal death of the Kin is probably a reflection of other factors as well - notably pricing and the imminence of Windows 7 phones. But it is a salutary lesson on the concept of "social value" inherent in fragmented communications experiences. Device vendors and operators need to learn when convergence and "unified XYZ" is appropriate - and when it diminishes utility and flexibility.

In an era of multi-tasking, multi-channel, multi-device users, it surprises me that we keep seeing the same monochrome engineering-type view that combining applications or services must always be good.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • There really needs to be a "User tariff API" for developers
    Generally speaking, app developers and website owners know what device you've got, what OS, and what browser. Furthermore, they know wha...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ▼  July (7)
      • Vendor-managed offload?
      • Yet more mobile data traffic management options
      • Policy conflicts on the horizon with offload?
      • FAO PR people: how to avoid getting black-listed
      • Challenges in measuring offload volumes
      • Please participate in 2 surveys on Developers & SD...
      • Death of the Kin - proof point that mobile social ...
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile