Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Free WiFi white paper - Opportunities for Mobile Operators

Posted on 00:56 by Unknown
I've been covering mobile offload of 3G/4G networks for 3+ years, and wider uses of dual-mode WiFi/cellular devices for about 8 years. Recently, the needle has moved towards WiFi adoption by mobile operators, catalysing a series of new standards developments and industry initiatives.

We've seen a huge set of operators build out or acquire WiFi networks - KDDI, AT&T, China Telecom, Orange and many others. Although some remain skeptical (Hutchison 3, for example), others such as Telefonica O2 have gone to the other extreme and examined building WiFi to "onload" subscribers that don't normally use their network - essentially providing connectivity as an OTT-style service. There is a huge amount of work going on to improve scaling, performance, security, authentication and so forth. Improved convenience and visibility for WiFi is indeed urgently needed - especially on smartphones where the user experience is often clunky today.

In recent months I've written a series of blog posts about WiFi recently - in particular, the fallacies of the idea of "seamlessness" and the almost Machiavellian moves of some cellular industry bodies to attempt to control/own the technology.

I've now published a free White Paper on the opportunities of WiFi for mobile operators, which looks at business cases and usage models, as well as technology evolution and pitfalls. It covers all these issues with examples, explanation and opinion - and introduces the concept of "WiFi Neutrality" I mentioned on my blog yesterday.

You can download the paper here

If you'd like more detail, or to commission an inhouse workshop, public presentation or consulting advisory project, please get in touch via information AT disruptive-analysis DOT com

[Disclosure: The paper is sponsored by a client of Disruptive Analysis, iPass Inc. As in all such cases, I only take on commissioned work where I retain editorial independence, and where I have broad agreement on key trends & future industry direction before I start writing - or where they feel that airing my contrarian views advances the wider industry debate. Such companies probably deserve bravery awards given that I don't shy away from controversy].
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • There really needs to be a "User tariff API" for developers
    Generally speaking, app developers and website owners know what device you've got, what OS, and what browser. Furthermore, they know wha...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ▼  August (3)
      • Vodafone zero-rating Facebook traffic on its new F...
      • Free WiFi white paper - Opportunities for Mobile O...
      • The Multi-WiFi future - the need for WiFi Neutrality
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile