Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 26 December 2008

Disposable mobile broadband - my experience

Posted on 02:39 by Unknown
Someone close to me is going into hospital for an operation soon. They want to take their Mac with them for web and email access while recuperating. And it turns out that the institution concerned only has a paid WiFi hotspot service, at the typical extortionate rates, with the usual clunky credit-card sign up. It's also unclear whether the WiFi has ubiquitous coverage in the building.

Solution - as an alternative/substitute, I got them a 3G dongle as a gift. Obviously that's also a little hostage to coverage issues, but I'm finding central London not too bad unless I'm in a basement. Also, it's not necessary to have multi-MB speeds for HD video, or huge file download limits, in this case.

Given their expected stay in hospital, their existing 20MB ADSL + 802.11n WiFi coverage, and relatively infrequent normal out-of-home PC use (and iPhone ownership), there was no point in getting an 18 / 24 month ongoing contract. A packaged, boxed, prepaid dongle was ideal.

I saw that Vodafone announced a standalone prepaid dongle a week or so back, for £39 including an inclusive 1GB data allowance. You can buy more at £15 per GB through normal prepay channels. This seemed pretty good. Unfortunately, and despite what the first Voda store I visited told me, it doesn't currently support Apple Macs. Luckily, that one was out of stock anyway, and the second one on London's Oxford Street had some more clued-up staff who gave me accurate information.

Being two days before Xmas, with hordes of shoppers in London, I wasn't exactly getting personal service at some of the other stores. My patience ran thin in O2 and T-Mobile and Orange stores. But anyway, none seemed to have nice, convenient prepaid "in a box" dongles that didn't need contracts or other hard work to sign up, at least based on the display info and brochures. I was a bit surprised, as I'd though that T-Mo had a similar offer, but I couldn't find it.

So, my last port of call was 3 UK. They've been heavily advertising the dongle-as-Xmas-present offer all over London, so I was pretty confident they'd have what I needed. And yes, they have three pre-packaged options, based on Huawei E160 modem sticks (HSDPA 3.6 only, but that's good enough). They offer 1GB, 3GB and 12GB prepaid boxed bundles, with the data "credit" lasting 1/3/12 months respectively. Apple support was indicated on the outside of the box.

I was in store for about 10-15 minutes, was dealt with by two busy-but-pleasant staffers, who helpfully pointed out that the midrange 3GB bundle was, in fact, discounted to just £50 instead of the indicated £70. (Compared to £30 or £100 for the 1GB or 12GB offers). They also offered me the option of black or white dongles - obviously white to go with the MacBook.

Sold.

I paid £50 (ie €52 / $74) for the modem and 3GB / 3 months of access. At that rate, it's essentially disposable. Whether 3 is making any profit on it, if most of the 3GB gets used up, but the account doesn't get topped up afterwards, is another question entirely.

As a side-note - given that some London hotels still charge £10 or even £20 for a day's WiFi, anyone coming to London for a week or more would be insane not to use the same approach.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • There really needs to be a "User tariff API" for developers
    Generally speaking, app developers and website owners know what device you've got, what OS, and what browser. Furthermore, they know wha...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ▼  2008 (94)
    • ▼  December (24)
      • Notifications and "keep-alives" from mobile apps -...
      • Disposable mobile broadband - my experience
      • My 2008 predictions - how did they turn out?
      • "Third-party pays" mobile data
      • Interesting FAQ about the Vodafone Dell netbook
      • Ericsson as handset API broker?
      • Handset brands moving into dongle market
      • Two famous places
      • Who pays for an unused 3G module in a laptop?
      • The danger of "cutting the cord" - where's the fem...
      • New Report:Mobile Broadband Computing - Device & B...
      • MIDs, netbooks, UMPCs, smartphones: some quick def...
      • Google's using my pipes for (almost) free! ... Whi...
      • Embedded-3G modules for notebooks still expensive
      • Downturn driving an increase in mobile payment def...
      • 2009 is going to be painful for device vendors
      • LTE+WiMAX dual-mode is inevitable
      • Truphone on iPod Touch.... cool, but...
      • Rant: I am not a blogger
      • Government remote access to data on PCs (and phones?)
      • The mobile industry buzzword of 2009 will be......
      • Inside-out deployment of LTE using femtocells
      • Mobile broadband business models: free dongles as ...
      • EU intervention in mobile - a double-edged sword
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile