Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 29 October 2009

The "Social web" - does anyone actually want it?

Posted on 09:24 by Unknown
Is this another example of The Emperor's New Clothes?

I've lost count of the number of pitches I've heard recently along the lines of "a single client to manage all your social network connections", or "a feed of updates via homescreen widgets" and so on.

I've also often been bombarded with the hideous phrase "social web", which I'm starting to think is utterly cringe-worthy, and ties in with a lot of nonsense talked about "social graph" and the farcical notion that you might be able to link together all your various communications channels.

I am genuinely unsure why anyone would want to link their various social networks or contact lists / directories, or tie together their calling and messaging patterns.

Personally, I work incredibly hard to make sure that I keep Facebook and LinkedIn almost totally exclusive. I'm happy that my Skype friend list has minimal overlap with Yahoo contacts. (Sidenote: on average Skype users have<10 contacts, but they're very "intimate").

Like most people, I'm happy with multi-tasking and compartmentalising my communications channels. I don't meet or talk to people who find they have a problem with fragmented social networks or phonebooks. And I certainly don't want *anyone* to be able to derive collated intelligence from across all of my different ways of interacting with friends, clients, acquaintances and so on. Fragmentation is safer and more comfortable.

I suspect that the only people that only really want this are aggregators and/or operators slightly irked by being usurped by Facebook et al. Plus some of the "social media connectivity freaks", who are generally just those in the social media industry itself, or its immediate neighbours like PR and politics and entertainment.

I reckon there's a near-100% overlap with the type of people people who think Twitter is important, ie a very loud and very small group who like shouting at each other repeatedly via 100 different media. The same group that sit in conferences obsessed with back-channels and Macs with Tweet-deck or whatever else they're playing with this week.

But I've seen no evidence that normal people identify with the types of problem that the "social web" attempts to cure. It's possible I'm projecting my own prejudices here, but I don't think so.

Edit: One specific problem will be that of de-duplication of messages. I already have 50%+ of personal emails being Facebook notifications, as well as the little notification icons on Facebook.com itself. So if I also had them replicated to my phone's homescreen, I'd be getting them in triplicate. Wonderful. (And no, I wouldn't turn off the email notifications as I want them on my PC as well as phones - yes, phones *plural*)
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • There really needs to be a "User tariff API" for developers
    Generally speaking, app developers and website owners know what device you've got, what OS, and what browser. Furthermore, they know wha...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ▼  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ▼  October (9)
      • The "Social web" - does anyone actually want it?
      • Back to low-power GSM: licence exempt?
      • Sharing multiple mobile broadband connections - po...
      • HSPA in 2.6GHz?
      • New personal phone - might finally get around to g...
      • LTE needed immediately!.... er, or else what?
      • WiFi Direct - helping to break the link between SI...
      • One scenarios where femtos could be faster than WiFi
      • Amazon Kindle 2: Does this herald the arrival of "...
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile