Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 29 October 2009

Back to low-power GSM: licence exempt?

Posted on 01:15 by Unknown
I'm at eComm in Amsterdam - and currently listening to a very interesting presentation from James Body (historically with Truphone but wearing a different hat today).

A few years ago, I wrote about the UK's low-power GSM auctions, and the subsequent slow-burn deployment of various GSM picocell-based services from companies like Teleware. It's never really lived up to its promise, though.

I hadn't realised this before, but apparently it is now legal to deploy low-power GSM in the guard band in the Netherlands, *licence-free*. I'm not sure exactly how this is implemented, as presumably there needs to be some sort of coordination to manage interference. Maybe you act as "your own MVNO"? One of the audience reported that the Dutch military was already using this option to build their own mini GSM networks on their bases and ships.

More interesting still - apparently this approach conceivably be rolled out Europe-wide. Worth watching....
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Forget lobbyists, this is how Net Neutrality gets enacted in law....
    I've long held that the Internet will always find ways around any blocking/filtering mechanisms for certain types of application, especi...
  • UK ISPs Code of Practice on Traffic Management - OK as a start, but major flaws
    A group of the UK's largest fixed and mobile ISPs have published a "Code of Practice" about managing traffic on their broadban...
  • The mobile industry buzzword of 2009 will be......
    OFFLOAD This year has been all about mobile broadband revenue and traffic growth. Dongles, iPhones, embedded PCs, Android, consumer BlackBer...
  • The danger of "cutting the cord" - where's the femtocell going to go?
    I see many references to people wanting to "cut the cord", and have an all-mobile home. This is particularly the case in the US, w...
  • The "Social web" - does anyone actually want it?
    Is this another example of The Emperor's New Clothes? I've lost count of the number of pitches I've heard recently along the lin...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • The Multi-WiFi future - the need for WiFi Neutrality
    I'm increasingly convinced that mobile device / computing users will need sophisticated WiFi connection management tools in the near fut...
  • Is it just me, or is 3G either really good or really bad, but rarely "OK"
    I've started noticing that my experience of mobile broadband (iPhone 3GS on Voda UK) is much more polarised than that of fixed broadband...
  • What's the story with the Phonejack 'femtocell"?
    I'm now trying to catch up with events and analysis over the past few weeks, as I've been on vacation. One of the more bewildering t...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ▼  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ▼  October (9)
      • The "Social web" - does anyone actually want it?
      • Back to low-power GSM: licence exempt?
      • Sharing multiple mobile broadband connections - po...
      • HSPA in 2.6GHz?
      • New personal phone - might finally get around to g...
      • LTE needed immediately!.... er, or else what?
      • WiFi Direct - helping to break the link between SI...
      • One scenarios where femtos could be faster than WiFi
      • Amazon Kindle 2: Does this herald the arrival of "...
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile