Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 21 January 2010

Cross-platform apps are the only way forward

Posted on 15:34 by Unknown
I've been writing about operator cross-network aps for a while, decoupling access from service. We need to see Vodafone 360 on AT&T handsets, and O2/Jajah VoIP on Hutchison 3 phones. It's the only way to build scale against the real Internet application players.

But thinking further, and especially in the light of yesterday's announcement by Nokia about free turn-by-turn navigation, there also needs to be cross-phone applications.

Google has a head start here, with its portfolio of apps available on most devices, not just Android. To compete, Nokia has to follow suit - if it's serious about apps, it cannot just confine them to its own hardware platforms, it needs to port them to Android, iPhone, RIM and so on. Maybe, ultimately even Apple's iron will should crumble, and it should export aspects of its flagship UI to other OS platforms (although I'm not betting on it).

Some of the Nokia apps are really good - the SMS client, for example. Some of the SonyEricsson and Samsung ones too. But if I don't want a Nokia or an S-E phone for any reason, why can't I still have that experience, as long as the hardware supports it?
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Forget lobbyists, this is how Net Neutrality gets enacted in law....
    I've long held that the Internet will always find ways around any blocking/filtering mechanisms for certain types of application, especi...
  • The mobile industry buzzword of 2009 will be......
    OFFLOAD This year has been all about mobile broadband revenue and traffic growth. Dongles, iPhones, embedded PCs, Android, consumer BlackBer...
  • The danger of "cutting the cord" - where's the femtocell going to go?
    I see many references to people wanting to "cut the cord", and have an all-mobile home. This is particularly the case in the US, w...
  • UK ISPs Code of Practice on Traffic Management - OK as a start, but major flaws
    A group of the UK's largest fixed and mobile ISPs have published a "Code of Practice" about managing traffic on their broadban...
  • The "Social web" - does anyone actually want it?
    Is this another example of The Emperor's New Clothes? I've lost count of the number of pitches I've heard recently along the lin...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • Is it just me, or is 3G either really good or really bad, but rarely "OK"
    I've started noticing that my experience of mobile broadband (iPhone 3GS on Voda UK) is much more polarised than that of fixed broadband...
  • What's the story with the Phonejack 'femtocell"?
    I'm now trying to catch up with events and analysis over the past few weeks, as I've been on vacation. One of the more bewildering t...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ▼  January (10)
      • Debating the use of the term "4G"
      • No mention of MicroSIMs at the next big SIM confer...
      • iYawn
      • Customer loyalty, tolerance and contempt
      • Cross-platform apps are the only way forward
      • Pre-MWC notes for analyst relations staff
      • So what are the capacity hogs? And where are the s...
      • Jajah + Telefonica
      • What's the story with the Phonejack 'femtocell"?
      • Back from vacation - thoughts on mobile in Sri Lan...
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile