Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 17 May 2010

NEW research paper on the Top 10 Technologies for mobile broadband traffic management

Posted on 12:42 by Unknown
This post is a quick "early alert" for a new thought-leadership report published by Disruptive Analysis this week.

It is a concise, 24-page briefing on the technical options for managing traffic on 3G/4G networks, following on from earlier posts I've written on the diverging solutions that are emerging.

It outlines the different roles of:

  • WiFi Offload
  • Femtocell Offload
  • Radio network enhancements (including signalling management, macro network offload and r packet scheduling and prioritisation)
  • Compression, adaptation and transcoding
  • Device-based traffic management techniques (including compression, rate-adaptation and network-sharing)
  • Contention management & tuning TCP/IP
  • Deep packet inspection, policy-based traffic shaping & differential charging
  • End-to-end service assurance and monitoring
  • Caching, multicast & CDNs
  • Congestion APIs
It also examines some "starting point" recommendations for operators assessing their options for reducing traffic on congested networks, as well as discussing some of the most worrying operational and tactical pitfalls that may occur.

(Note: this is not a full analyst "strategy report", but a short document to introduce the expanding variety of technical options emerging to solve the "capacity crunch". It does not include detailed analysis of vendor positions or the minutiae of architectures. Further details on business models are covered in other research reports)

I'm am going to be at the LTE event in Amsterdam over the next two days (ash-cloud permitting) and I will be setting up a more fancy electronic document-delivery system at the end of the week, and talking through the analysis in more depth.

However, if you're desperate to get the research paper immediately, I've set up a "get it now" button for instant purchases which then go straight to the PDF download page. Prices start at US$350 for 1-5 users, plus VAT for UK/EU customers.

ONLINE PAYMENT FOR NON-EU CUSTOMERS ONLY - For UK / EU purchases, please email information AT disruptive-analysis DOT com for VAT invoicing.

The payment is done via Paypal's merchant system, but you do not need a Paypal account - you can pay by credit card if you click on the link in the lower-left hand corner of the payment page.






Users and licences




Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The risks of ignorance-based pricing strategies for telecoms
    Almost exactly 5 years ago, I wrote a blog post cutting through the myth of "value-based pricing" in the telecoms industry. It fo...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ▼  May (19)
      • VoIPo3G becoming a reality. Remember, you read it ...
      • Is it just me, or is 3G either really good or real...
      • What are the side-effects of speed/vol tiering for...
      • NEW research report on Mobile data: Offload vs. Co...
      • Thoughts on the LTE conference
      • Mobile local search - just leave it to Google. Again.
      • A quick thought on operators and APIs
      • More agreement with the "Happy Pipe" concept
      • End to end QoS is impossible for LTE Voice
      • I'm holding my nose and trying Twitter
      • NEW research paper on the Top 10 Technologies for ...
      • Telcos' own-brand iPhone apps
      • A problem with WiFi-based offload?
      • An open letter to Vodafone on data roaming pricing
      • From "dumb pipe" to "happy pipe"
      • Mobile broadband traffic - be careful about language
      • Paying for mobile QoS? Three thought experiments
      • Does the outcome of the Dutch 2.6GHz auction repre...
      • Why I think the iPad won't change anything
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile