Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 20 May 2010

Mobile local search - just leave it to Google. Again.

Posted on 04:06 by Unknown
I've written various times before about my skepticism around "Mobile Search", and especially the idea that any form of "local search" is useful on a handset - at least, beyond that done by a decent implementation of Google.

I've heard any number of straw-man arguments that "people want to find things, not search for them", usually made by wannabee directory-services companies that want to charge companies to be listed.

I've heard similar arguments about the evolution of Yellow Pages to something altogether more interactive and cool - or about using SMS to query the network operator's own database, hooked into your cell ID or other details.

The problem I have is that most of these things just don't work that well, because they rely on an incomplete database that is usually compiled by someone else. It's then interpreted by an imperfect filter, and updated infrequently.

I think that a case can be made for mobile search for "commodity" services, where the user doesn't need the absolute closest option, nor need a complete list of all relevant providers. Plumbers, window-cleaners, maybe dry cleaners, conceivably petrol stations.

But for those areas were there is a qualitative, subjective opinion involved.... you really want as broad and accurate a base as possible. Ideally, you wouldn't want to choose a restaurant from a guide with a random selection of 25% of the possible options - or, worse, where a particular chain had cut a deal and accounted for 30% of the options. And in many cases, mobile search is competing against two other options - Google on your PC (good for non time-critical things like dry cleaners), or Google search & maps on your handset.

I tried a new option out today - BT's Exchanges app for the iPhone, apparently developed by a firm called Locayta. So, I tried it out on my local area in central London.

Immediate "FAIL". Under the tab 'pubs', it misses my favourite local - as well as three others in the area. Under "petrol stations" it gets the closest one right, but also includes the location of another that shut four years ago. On the first screen of 10 hospitals, it misses the enormous new University College Hospital which has full casualty facilities - because there are 8 private clinics on Harley Street that are 300 yards closer to me.

Google Maps is a bit better - it gets my local boozer OK, and doesn't list the long-defunct Texaco. But it also doesn't get UCH on the first selection(maybe I'm being unfair because Harley St is a bit of an anomaly).

But best of all is good old Google Search, for which "Pubs Baker St" immediately throws up beerintheevening.com, which lists everything locally - with unbiased reviews, maps etc. A similar strategy yields UCH at #6 on the main search page - and #3 with "hospitals marylebone".

Put simply - the source data that Google Search uses is , it seems, far better for these types of look-up action. If I'm locked out of my house and need a locksmith, then maybe a yellow-pages type thing is useful. But for most searches - you already have all you need.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The risks of ignorance-based pricing strategies for telecoms
    Almost exactly 5 years ago, I wrote a blog post cutting through the myth of "value-based pricing" in the telecoms industry. It fo...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ▼  May (19)
      • VoIPo3G becoming a reality. Remember, you read it ...
      • Is it just me, or is 3G either really good or real...
      • What are the side-effects of speed/vol tiering for...
      • NEW research report on Mobile data: Offload vs. Co...
      • Thoughts on the LTE conference
      • Mobile local search - just leave it to Google. Again.
      • A quick thought on operators and APIs
      • More agreement with the "Happy Pipe" concept
      • End to end QoS is impossible for LTE Voice
      • I'm holding my nose and trying Twitter
      • NEW research paper on the Top 10 Technologies for ...
      • Telcos' own-brand iPhone apps
      • A problem with WiFi-based offload?
      • An open letter to Vodafone on data roaming pricing
      • From "dumb pipe" to "happy pipe"
      • Mobile broadband traffic - be careful about language
      • Paying for mobile QoS? Three thought experiments
      • Does the outcome of the Dutch 2.6GHz auction repre...
      • Why I think the iPad won't change anything
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile