Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 11 February 2011

Nokia + Microsoft: is there an effective third silent partner, Qualcomm?

Posted on 04:41 by Unknown
I'm at the Nokia strategy event in London today, listening to Stephen Elop discussing the Microsoft deal & wider issues around the company's strategy for smartphones, mobile phones and "future disruptions".

There's a ton of angles on this, which I've been dropping comments about on Twitter, and which are well covered elsewhere.

But I'm wondering if there's another angle here in the discussion of "the Windows Phone ecosystem". All of the first batch of WP7 devices have been based on Qualcomm hardware and specifically the Snapdragon processor.

Nokia had a long-running legal spat over patents with Qualcomm, which was resolved in mid-2008. Added towards the traditional antipathy of the GSM community towards CDMA, this meant that Nokia firstly never developed Symbian devices for the broader US market, and also missed Qualcomm's increasing competitiveness in creating 3G basebands and application processors. A year ago at MWC, Nokia announced the first Snapdragon-powered phone would ship by end-2010. It didn't happen. The N8 uses a Texas Instruments apps processor, and the rumoured N9 hasn't appeared.

It's also not clear what's happening now to Nokia's deal with Broadcom for 3G chipset supply - or what happens with its future LTE devices.

I suspect that Qualcomm may - explicitly or implicitly - turn out to be a big winner with today's announcement. It certainly seems likely that for Nokia to get its first WP7 phones to market ASAP ("focus on speed"), it will go down the proven route to get devices out as fast as possible.

The interesting thing here is that the big Q could therefore end up as a pivotal player in Apple, Android and WP7/Nokia ecosystems - although in the iPhone it's on the baseband side than the apps processor.

The big questionmark is around the future role of Intel in mobile. It is clearly now being left out in the cold (again), as Meego is effectively being mothballed, at least from Nokia's point of view. It will be interesting to see its next move - partnership with Samsung on Bada, or RIM on QNX, perhaps? An acquisition of a company like MediaTek? Or a wholehearted move to support WP7 and Android however possible?

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • There really needs to be a "User tariff API" for developers
    Generally speaking, app developers and website owners know what device you've got, what OS, and what browser. Furthermore, they know wha...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ▼  February (6)
      • 2011 events I'm attending or speaking at
      • 1000th post - a retrospective. What I've got right...
      • MWC 2011 round-up: Smartphones, Policy/Offload and...
      • Nokia + Microsoft: is there an effective third sil...
      • NFC will be about free "interactions", not monetis...
      • New stats from Cisco on mobile data traffic
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile