Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Guest post on Visionmobile about Future of Voice

Posted on 07:24 by Unknown
I've written for many years about the future of VoIP and personal communications. Recently, I've been mentioning terms such as "non-telephony voice" and the need for service providers to understand that the historic concept of the "phone call" is only one way of interacting with another person using speech.

Last week's profit warning from Dutch operator KPN highlights the fragility of "old" telecoms communications services such as telephony and SMS, as newer applications better-customised to the idiosyncracies of human behaviour start to emerge. An open question is how well platforms such as IMS can cope with new modes of communication - especially those that aren't based on "sessions", but more fluid forms of interaction.

This is a broad theme I'm going to be addressing in some depth over coming months, through a variety of publications and events.


EDIT: If you are interested in learning more about the Future of Voice, I will be running a series of small-group Masterclasses together with Martin Geddes, as well as providing private internal workshops. Email me at information AT disruptive-analysis DOT com for more details

For now, however, please check out the guest post I've written for fellow analyst Andreas Constantinou's blog, VisionMobile on the Future of Voice, and the challenges being posed for "your grandmother's telephony service".
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • There really needs to be a "User tariff API" for developers
    Generally speaking, app developers and website owners know what device you've got, what OS, and what browser. Furthermore, they know wha...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ▼  April (4)
      • Guest post on Visionmobile about Future of Voice
      • Is mobile data roaming structurally flawed?
      • The risks of ignorance-based pricing strategies fo...
      • Communications innovators - get thee to eComm in J...
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile