Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 6 May 2011

Business model innovation in mobile broadband - the insurance model?

Posted on 04:22 by Unknown
At the recent Telco 2.0 event in Palo Alto, I was on the panel discussing mobile broadband economics.

I had an idea there, on the spur of the moment, that I haven't had a chance to write up until now. It's still in "prototype" form and definitely not 100% practical straight away, but nevertheless represents the sort of lateral thinking I have yet to see in the mobile industry.

I pay my car insurance based on an annual premium payment. I phone around (or look online) for quotes, which typically ask me for my age, address, type of car, security I use, history of accidents or convictions, some evidence of history of my actual insurance usage (ie claims) and a bunch of other questions that help them categorise my risk level with some very complex software. Some specialist insurers target particular demographics, or have detailed underwriting expertise that allows them to provide custom quotes, taking into account unusual circumstances. I also get a discount if my previous year's driving didn't result in excess "usage" - ie a no-claims discount.

It got me thinking - why don't we price for mobile data in a similar way? A 37yo male living in central London with an iPhone 4, commuting during busy periods, with a history of video downloads & obsessive Facebook use might get quoted £500 a year for mobile data, while a 57yo female with a BlackBerry living in a rural area and working from home might get a quote of £200. And if someone "abuses" the service, the operator has the right to decline to quote them for a continuation of service next year - or raise the premium considerably - so there's an incentive to be sensible.

Now clearly, this would need a major change to IT and billing systems - as well as some interesting discussions with regulators and re-training of customer service. I'm certainly not saying it's easy. But leave that aside for a second - do you really believe that if the *insurance* industry (hardly the most dynamic group of companies....) can do something like this, then the telecoms industry couldn't as well?

The nice thing about it is that the actual metrics that the telco uses to estimate risk are hidden privately inside the system. It might be a measure of GB data "tonnage". It might bias against people who use lots of signalling-intensive applications. It might involve clever location-based algorithms. It might give discounts for people who have use of 2+ phones. It might discount people prepared to accept a higher "excess" (eg policy management downgrades during busy periods). There's an infinity of clever ways to tweak the system.

I'm sure that there are other industries whose pricing schemes might be borrowed as well - energy, airlines, hotels and so on. Once again, it's about getting rid of the notion that "subscriptions" - especially monthly-based - are the only way to bill or market for telecoms services.

There's lots of nonsense being talked at the moment about "personalisation" fo mobile data - picking from a menu of apps and other such implausibilities. *This* is an example of true personalisation - a unique price and policy, just for you, calculated by examining your individual "risk" characteristics based on network cost and contribution to congestion.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The risks of ignorance-based pricing strategies for telecoms
    Almost exactly 5 years ago, I wrote a blog post cutting through the myth of "value-based pricing" in the telecoms industry. It fo...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ▼  May (9)
      • Gaming the new peering arrangements - will non-neu...
      • Future of Voice Masterclasses: June 30th Santa Cla...
      • Thoughts from the LTE World Summit
      • Telcos paying OTT players - balance of payments wi...
      • Another reason why app / service based pricing for...
      • Microsoft + Skype + Nokia = NextGen 4G Mobile VoIP...
      • My Top 10 blog posts from the past few years
      • Business model innovation in mobile broadband - th...
      • Is KPN about to hit the Net Neutrality "suicide bu...
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile