Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 22 September 2011

I'm running the next Future of Voice Workshop in London, on the 27th October

Posted on 00:43 by Unknown
The next in the series of ground-breaking workshops on The Future of Voice is taking place on 27th October in a central London venue.

Associate Martin Geddes and I ran previous successful public events in London and California over the summer, and we've also been privately advising various operators and others market participants about the current state of telephony and messaging.

The public events have featured a really broad cross-section of the voice ecosystem: we've had Tier 1 operators' strategy groups, start-up 4G network operators, vendors from hardware & software domains, regulators, Internet VoIP specialists, voice-centric developers and investors. We've even had some of the internal "Telco-OTT" skunkworks divisions of major telcos join the discussion.

The workshop format is designed for interactive learning and networking, with a maximum of just 20 attendees. Martin and I try to "curate" the group for optimal discussion and differences of viewpoint, as we've seen that generate the most interesting and unexpected debate and alignment.

The timing for Future of Voice is particularly exciting. Whilst I've been following and commentating on voice and VoIP for years, it's only really in the last 6 months that I've seen a sudden ramp-up of concern and attention from operators, as they realise that some major tectonic shifts are occurring, especially in mobile. Core revenues now look under threat, and the need for both defensive and offensive action is urgent.

Some of the areas we'll be covering on the day include:

- Why do people make calls anyway? What's the underlying psychology of human communication, that's driving the fragmentation of mechanisms by which we reach each other?
- What's the difference between "voice services in general" and classical "telephony"? What other formats and business models are there for voice comms, beyond the familiar 100-year old "call"?
- How should telcos' respond to OTT voice and messaging providers? Should they try to block them, beat them, buy them, or copy them?
- What exactly is a "voice application"? How are they enabled by "voice platforms"? And who is in control, the telcos, Internet VoIP players, developers..... or nobody at all?
- What's going on with messaging and social networking? Is SMS revenue about to fall off a cliff.. and can the telcos' preferred answer of RCS be the saviour (I think my regular readers will know my answer about that one, but something different may come out in discussion)
- What are the organisational challenges for telcos in coping with voice? Who "owns" the core voice and messaging portfolio within operators, and what should they be thinking about?
- What differences does LTE make to the telephony marketplace? Is VoLTE the answer?
- How does the enterprise and B2C/customer-care communications fit into all of this?
- Will be still be paying per-minute and per-message in the future? Will it all have been competed away to zero, or given away by Apple or Google or Skype? Or are there other potentially successful business models to consider?

This is going to be a busy and intense day. If your company or livelihood depends on understanding where voice service is going, and you want to know what you peers are thinking, you should be there.

More details are at futureofcomms.com

You can book online here, or contact me via information AT disruptive-analysis DOT com to inquire about invoicing or private internal events.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The risks of ignorance-based pricing strategies for telecoms
    Almost exactly 5 years ago, I wrote a blog post cutting through the myth of "value-based pricing" in the telecoms industry. It fo...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ▼  September (6)
      • I'm running the next Future of Voice Workshop in L...
      • Who's driving policy within operators?
      • Great example of a mashup creating a network-polic...
      • More thoughts and observations on WiFi Neutrality
      • Deciphering the Orange Sosh proposition
      • The fallacy of "monetising OTT" against the greate...
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile