Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 7 December 2011

What is the cost of VoLTE? Is it a huge strategic error for the mobile industry?

Posted on 03:12 by Unknown
I'm sitting at the Layer123 conference on EPC and LTE in London.

I've just heard a joint presentation on VoLTE from the GSMA and the MSF. The latter was about the recent interop trial, and the former was a general flag-waving / propaganda pitch. Apparently "everyone" is now agreed on VoLTE deployment. (I assume that comes from the same GSMA dictionary as "ubiquitous" used in discussions on RCS / RCSe). The subsequent presentation is from Germany consultancy Detecon, and the former one was from BT Wholesale.

Some outputs so far on LTE Voice:

- General agreement that CSFB still reduces QoE by increasing call setup time and dropping the LTE data connection
- "Pure" VoLTE should be available without handoff when the user moves out of LTE coverage in late 2012 / early 2013, after trials in early/mid 2012
- E911 support is a bit of a hassle for the US and a short-term cludge will be needed
- VoLTE with SRVCC (for handoff to 2G/3G at the edge of coverage) is late and complex
- Massmarket VoLTE with SRVCC "should" be available in 2014. I think that's both (a) delayed from initial discussions, and (b) very optimistic. I think 2016 is more likely when you take into account various other factors like devices

But the elephant in the room is the growing realisation in the industry that mobile voice telephony revenues are declining. A survey of strategists at the London Telco 2.0 event I attended a few weeks ago suggested 20-30% revenue erosion for operators on telephony in the next 3 years. The Asian equivalent in Singapore last week was even more bearish. Private conversations I've had with telco voice and strategy executives also demonstrate pessimism - sometime to the extent that they see telephony revenues evaporating almost entirely, under the onslaught from MVNOs, Google, Skype and the regulators.

So let me get this straight:

- Telephony revenues are declining because of external (and unstoppable) factors
- CSFB gives a worse user experience than circuit telephony
- VoLTE is only useful where there's actually LTE coverage
- Without SRVCC, VoLTE will drop calls (worse QoE than circuit)

Now in theory, VoIP means more calls can be squeezed into a Hz of frequency - so there are efficiencies on the radio and on backhaul capacity. But all the complexity of policy management, QoS, legacy interworking needs to be factored in.

Can anyone honestly say they believe that VoLTE will offer a lower "production cost" for telephony than GSM? Or are the costs per unit about to go up, just when the revenues are going down? And CSFB probably means higher costs AND lower quality than today's GSM.

That doesn't make economic sense - what operator will want to invest in more-expensive technology in order to provide a worse service in a declining market?

EDIT - a couple of people have pointed out that CS voice infrastructure isn't that cheap either, and neither are the legacy billing/OSS systems. True, but modern developing world 2G/3G networks show that CS can be really cheap if deployed today. I think a CS refresh (or full OTT-style service with a chance of Future of Voice type new revenue streams) may be a better bet than VoLTE.


Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Number 1 problem for "seamless" models of WiFi offload / network selection
    I frequently argue against the assumption that "seamless" connection to WiFi is practical or desirable, especially for the general...
  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • Part of Nokia's problem - making Ovi compelling
    I've got a Nokia Ovi account somewhere. Signed up for it ages ago, to play around with the Ovi Store when I had an N97 to play with, ba...
  • Putting a value on customer data with reference to offload
    There continues to be a ferocious discussion about AT&T's new data plans - and also, as I commented a couple of weeks ago, about the...
  • Android - the retail experience
    I just stopped off at my local branch of Carphone Warehouse on a whim, to have a quick look at what's being sold and how. (By coincidenc...
  • For telcos, "Monetising OTT" is about distribution partnerships & revshare, not QoS or termination fees
    A couple of years ago, I moderated a panel session at a conference on broadband business models and "traffic management". It was o...
  • BT WiFi smartphone application
    I've just seen BT's announcement of its new iPhone and Android app, offering free WiFi access at its Openzone and FON hotspots to i...
  • An update on @DApremium - the world's first paid Twitter channel. Now available with quarterly or annual subscriptions
    It's now been six weeks since I announced the launch of @DApremium , my second Twitter stream - one which is available only to paid subs...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • There really needs to be a "User tariff API" for developers
    Generally speaking, app developers and website owners know what device you've got, what OS, and what browser. Furthermore, they know wha...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2011 (73)
    • ▼  December (4)
      • 2012 Winners and Losers
      • New! Disruptive Analysis Premium Twitter subscript...
      • Telco-OTT Strategies & Case Studies: Pre-publicati...
      • What is the cost of VoLTE? Is it a huge strategic ...
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile