Amazon Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Mobile websites

Posted on 12:15 by Unknown
I am getting increasingly annoyed with mobile versions of websites. I really wish there was a way of configuring handset browsers (I'm using Safari on iPhone here) to permanently toggle to the full PC version of sites, if necessary by spoofing the ID it gives the server.

Many of my favourite sites have useless 'light' mobile versions and even if there's a link or switch to toggle the mobile version to 'off' it seems to revert the next time rather than using cookies or whatever to remember my preference.

Personally I want my Internet experience when mobile to be as close as possible to that I get on my desktop. It may not be a universal view but I cannot believe I'm alone in being irritated by site designers assuming I want a lousy half-cut version of their pages.

Yes, I can see the reason to "mobilise" websites very slightly - perhaps some tweaks because it is expecting touch rather than mouse, or browsers on devices with no "end of page" key. But complete redesigns are an anachronism, based on an expectation of 2G networks, limited browsers and small screens, in a time when we're moving to large screens, enough processor speed and zoom/pinch/drag tools to zoom around a full page.

I strongly suspect that much of this nonsense is down to "digital media agencies" and their ilk, insisting that their clients double their web spending to create mobile-specific sites. If I was running a larger site, I'd certainly make sure I got three or four separate opinions before running down this particular blind alley.



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Mobile social networking - how I'll know when it's going mainstream....
    This falls into the category of "amusing personal anecdotes" rather than "rigorous industry analysis". But it also refle...
  • UK ISPs Code of Practice on Traffic Management - OK as a start, but major flaws
    A group of the UK's largest fixed and mobile ISPs have published a "Code of Practice" about managing traffic on their broadban...
  • Forget lobbyists, this is how Net Neutrality gets enacted in law....
    I've long held that the Internet will always find ways around any blocking/filtering mechanisms for certain types of application, especi...
  • The risks of ignorance-based pricing strategies for telecoms
    Almost exactly 5 years ago, I wrote a blog post cutting through the myth of "value-based pricing" in the telecoms industry. It fo...
  • The Novatel MiFi - possibilities for new mobile broadband business models
    OK, I realise that I've been a bit grumpy and critical of some things recently. But before everyone assumes I'm getting more cantank...
  • The "Social web" - does anyone actually want it?
    Is this another example of The Emperor's New Clothes? I've lost count of the number of pitches I've heard recently along the lin...
  • The danger of "cutting the cord" - where's the femtocell going to go?
    I see many references to people wanting to "cut the cord", and have an all-mobile home. This is particularly the case in the US, w...
  • What's the story with the Phonejack 'femtocell"?
    I'm now trying to catch up with events and analysis over the past few weeks, as I've been on vacation. One of the more bewildering t...
  • Netbooks - a skewed view on mobile broadband
    In recent months, I've noticed an interesting misconception. Some observers - notably from North America - seem to be under the impressi...
  • The mobile industry buzzword of 2009 will be......
    OFFLOAD This year has been all about mobile broadband revenue and traffic growth. Dongles, iPhones, embedded PCs, Android, consumer BlackBer...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (31)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (46)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2010 (130)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ▼  April (11)
      • Most commentators don't get RIM's strategy
      • IMS role in mobile will remain minor. RCS is dead.
      • Telcos = Google advert affiliates?
      • Mobile websites
      • Conference season! Telco 2.0, Open Mobile and oth...
      • Mobile social networking doesn't really deal with ...
      • An interesting angle on mobile broadband offload
      • The secret social network success: RIM now adverti...
      • The incumbent telcos' attack on YouTube looks like...
      • iPad impact on mobile networks likely to be neglig...
      • RIP Guy Kewney
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2009 (126)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (15)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (94)
    • ►  December (24)
    • ►  November (26)
    • ►  October (25)
    • ►  September (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile